Many women are turning to castor oil packs for ovarian cysts. It is a natural and effective remedy that is easy to use. Castor oil promotes healing in the body by increasing lymphatic circulation, reducing inflammation, enhancing immune function, stimulating liver function, and enhancing your body’s natural detoxification process.¹ While most ovarian cysts are harmless and do not cause any pain, for those that do cause discomfort castor oil packs are a great option.
Castor oil packs are used to heal many reproductive ailments. They are extremely effective for treating fibroids, menstrual cramps, fertility, and ovarian cysts. In Ayurveda, the belly button is a secret spot on the body that can effectively cure daily health problems. Since you place castor pack under your ribcage and over your belly button you can receive the benefits in a more enhanced and effective manner.
The central cause of ovarian cysts is estrogen dominance. In our environment, it is easy to have an overage in estrogen. We take in excess estrogens from synthetic estrogen-filled cosmetics, shampoos, nail polishes, household cleaners, feminine products, and other plastics.(2) If your body is not performing optimally then it won’t be able to get rid of the excess estrogen as it needs to, this is where castor oil comes into play.
If your body is not performing optimally then it won’t be able to get rid of the excess estrogen as it needs to, this is where castor oil comes into play.
Holistic treatment for ovarian cysts usually focuses on balancing your hormones. To balance hormones in the body, your body must be able to circulate and cleanse itself of toxins. Using castor oil packs for ovarian cysts helps to lower levels of beta-glucuronidase, reduce estrogen dominance, increase circulation and support natural detoxification pathways. (3)
How Does Castor Oil Packs Work?
It is typically used to improve liver function, relieve pain, reduce inflammation, and to improve digestion. A castor oil pack requires the use of a cloth soaked in castor oil which is placed on the skin. The cloth is covered with a sheet of plastic, and then a hot water bottle is placed over the plastic to heat the pack. This allows the castor oil to better absorb into your skin.
- Castor oil, when absorbed, stimulates the bodily function that will remove the products of inflammation from the appendix itself, leaving it more available to function normally. This helps to increase blood flow, and reduce pain caused by ovarian cysts.
- Castor oil absorbed into the tissues may, in its vibratory activity (for all things are in essence vibratory in nature), act to stimulate the nerves in the area where it is applied. This signal can change how the nerves respond to ovarian cyst pain.
- Castor oil packs help to stimulate the lymphatics to drain more adequately the tissues under duress, which is very effective at helping the body process and eliminate excess estrogen. This, along with a healthy diet, is more effective for shrinking, managing, and preventing ovarian cysts long term.
- Cotton flannel wide enough to cover the lower abdomen and pelvic area
- Castor oil
- Plastic wrap cut one to two inches larger than the flannel (this can come from a plastic bag)
- Hot water bottle
- Container with a lid
- Old clothes and sheets as castor oil can stain clothing and bedding.
- Place the flannel in the container.
- Soak it with castor oil so that it is saturated, but not dripping.
- Place the pack over your abdomen and pelvic area.
- Cover with plastic.
- Place the hot water bottle over the pack.
- Leave it on for 45-60 minutes.
- Rest while the pack is in place. (use this time to meditate or use healing chants)
- After removing the pack, cleanse the area with a diluted mixture of water and baking soda.
- Store the pack in the covered container in the refrigerator. Your castor oil pack may be reused up to 25-30 times.
How Often to Use Castor Oil Packs for Ovarian Cysts
You should use a castor oil pack for ovarian cysts three to seven days a week. For maximum effectiveness, apply the pack as often as possible – at least 4 consecutive days per week for at least 4 – 6 weeks. Daily use provides the most beneficial effects.
Other Approaches to Treat Ovarian Cysts
Nutrition and Lifestyle
Excess estrogen is one of the most prevalent types of hormonal imbalance, which can cause the disorder of ovulation. One of the most reliable ways to relieve the body of excess estrogens is to stop exposing yourself to xenohormones and to consume more DIM (Di-Indolyl Methane) which is very effective at helping the body process and eliminate excess estrogen)
- Cruciferous vegetables like brussel sprouts, kale, collards, broccoli, cabbage contain DIM. Increase your intake of these veggies and supplement them with DIM itself in pill form daily.
- Avoid soy – Soy contains phytoestrogens, or plant-based estrogens.
- Fermented foods – sauerkraut and kimchi and pickles will help your body deal with and manage estrogen
- Aim for organic foods – Try to eat only organic meats and dairy
- Fiber-filled foods – fiber helps your liver and digestive system to move and eliminate excess estrogen from your body.
- Avoid plastic – BPA is a weak synthetic estrogen found in many rigid plastic products. Do not microwave foods in plastic and avoid drinking out of plastic bottles.
Herbs for Ovarian Cysts
- Maca root – A rounded diet, rich in vitamins and minerals, is key to reproductive health. Maca root is rich in calcium and potassium, contains trace elements of iron, iodine, copper, manganese, and zinc, as well as vitamins B1, B2, C, and D.
- Wild Yam Root – has been used for many years to support women with their reproductive system health to help regulate the production of estrogen, aiding in estrogen balance.
- Yarrow – one of the best herbs to stop heavy bleeding due to uterine fibroids, endometriosis, ovarian cysts, or for women who have heavier than normal menstrual periods
- Black Cohosh root – has commonly been used to treat symptoms of menopause, premenstrual syndrome (PMS), and painful menstruation.
- Dong Quai root – TCM practitioners often prescribe dong quai to treat women’s reproductive problems, such as dysmenorrhea or painful menstruation, and to improve blood flow.
Apple Cider Vinegar and Black Strap Molasses
Many women swear by apple cider vinegar and blackstrap molasses for shrinking their fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Fatty acids both decrease inflammation and aid in balancing hormones. It is recommended to take a combination of pumpkin or flax seeds for the first 14 days of your cycle, followed by fish oil and evening primrose supplements for the following 14.
As with the castor oil pack, heat can be a very effective way to reduce the pain from ovarian cysts. You can try heating pads, hot packs, or hot water bottles.
Hot Magnesium Bath
Magnesium is nature’s muscle relaxant. It plays an important role in the production and transfer of energy, in muscle contraction and relaxation and in nerve conduction. Add one ounce of transdermal magnesium along with 1 cup of Epsom salts to your bathwater. For extra relief add relaxing essential oils like lavender to the bath and soak for 20 – 30 minutes.
Massaging the lower back, thighs, buttocks, and stomach can help loosen tense muscles and reduce pain.
Some essential oils help to dissolve and get rid of the cysts, while others help to ease the pain related to the cysts, and some of them will even do both. We recommend trying:
- clary sage
You rub these oils directly over your lower abdomen where you are feeling the pain. If you have sensitive skin, make sure to do a small spot test before rubbing it over your abdomen.
Ovarian cysts come in all shapes and sizes, there are different types, and they affect people differently. For most women cysts can develop each month as a normal part of your menstrual cycle. However, they may cause discomfort from time to time, and other types of cysts may result from more serious medical issues. While you may be able to treat your cysts at home, castor oil packs for ovarian cysts and other self-care measures aren’t a replacement for your doctor-prescribed treatment plan.