We include products we think are useful. If you buy through links on this page, we earn a small commission
Sea moss is becoming quite the popular supplement and purple sea moss is the variation seen the least. I first learned about sea moss through Dr. Sebi who recommended it for its ability to improve digestive health, mucus cleansing, thyroid hormone support, and including the prevention of malignant cancerous diseases. A mucus-eliminating diet is my ultimate goal but I take small steps to get there with supplements and swapping out foods. Mucus is our body’s way of protecting us from diseases and poisons, but when not eliminated it can cause disease itself.
Your diet is one of the most important factors that contribute to your health. What you eat is what you are. There is no better way to improve your well-being than by eating nutrient-rich, alkaline foods that will make your body happy and healthy. You wouldn’t fill your car up with bad gasoline then expect it to run smoothly or last long without an issue, why should your body be any different? The best foods for your body are the ones that are alkaline-forming.
The foods you should be eating are green leafy vegetables, fruits, non-starchy vegetables, roots and tubers, nuts and seeds, legumes/beans, healthy fats (like avocados), grains (preferably sprouted/soaked), other wild plant foods like aloe vera and sea moss, organic raw dairy foods from pastured animals, and omega 3 fatty acids from cod liver oil.
The mucus-eliminating diet is my goal, but it’s a process that takes time. To help take steps towards that goal I cut out fried foods, sugary desserts/foods, soda, coffee, processed food, and any other bad foods. It’s an ultimate test in discipline but it’s something I’m willing to do because the payoff is much better than all of the benefits you get from being healthy.
Sourced from seawater, purple sea moss is unique in that it contains the highest amount of iodine found in nature. Iodine is an essential mineral for thyroid hormone production which regulates energy levels, metabolism, moods… basically everything. The thyroid gland itself can be affected by mucus which is why excess mucus will make you tired, foggy-headed, and possibly overweight. Iodine binds to fat cells in the body where it is stored until needed. When iodine levels are low oftentimes symptoms of goiter (enlargement of the thyroid gland) may develop. This can also lead to hypothyroidism which is when there is not enough thyroid hormone in the body.
Purple sea moss contains many compounds that contribute to the overall wellness of the body. Some specific nutrients found in purple sea moss include phosphates/phosphorus, carotenes (beta-carotene), zeaxanthin (protects against free radicals), iodine (thyroid control), selenium (support heart health), glucosamine (joint/tissue support), magnesium, vitamins A, B1, B2, C, D3 and E.
The Health Benefits of Purple Sea Moss
1. Treating Skin Issues – The iodine present helps treat skin issues such as rashes and acne breakouts by increasing metabolism which balances hormones and eliminates toxins from the bloodstream. Skin issues like eczema are tied to the thyroid gland which is why it’s recommended for preventing and treating skin issues.
2. Removing Mucus – You may have heard of mucilaginous plants as a means to remove excess mucus from the body, Purple sea moss is one of those plants. Used as a natural expectorant, it soothes coughs, sore throats, respiratory illness and so much more.
3. Alleviating Stress – While it’s still unknown exactly how purple sea moss works it is believed to have the ability to increase serotonin levels which are responsible for feeling happy or joyful. It does this by increasing metabolism in the body similar to how it treats skin issues since higher metabolism means more energy.
4. Increasing Energy – I believe increasing energy is one of the best benefits of purple sea moss since it does so much more than just rid the body of mucus. Energy levels are directly tied to our moods, immune system, and thyroid function amongst other things (which is why hypothyroidism makes you tired). Proper energy levels will result in overall higher quality of life.
5. Lowering Blood Pressure – The ability to lower blood pressure has been proven by multiple studies, typically this is done through food since it’s difficult to administer medicine or supplements orally. Since thyroid hormone regulates metabolism increasing the metabolism via purple sea moss will increase urination which will expel excess fluid from the body.
6. Treatment of Cancer – The ability to prevent cancerous growths is yet another health benefit of purple sea moss which has been proven in multiple studies.
7. Treating Congestion & Cough – Purple sea moss is used as a natural expectorant meaning it helps remove excess mucus from the lungs and respiratory system. When congested, phlegm is oftentimes not coughed up which causes the body to become more toxic. The ability of purple sea moss to act as an expectorant helps eliminate excess mucus so you can breathe easily.
8. Strengthening the Immune System – According to Dr. Sebi, “the immune system is the only system in your body that is designed to attack, kill, encompass and digest – anything.” This makes it imperative to strengthen the immune system so you can ward off diseases before they even develop. The increase in metabolism helps cleanse the body of toxins which weakens the immune system thus creating obstacles for disease growth.
9. Increasing Metabolism – The thyroid gland controls metabolism, which is why eating too much sugar can result in weight gain. Purple sea moss should be consumed daily to increase your overall metabolic rate so you can rid the body of excess mucus and toxins.
10. Decreasing Hunger & Cravings – This benefits anyone who would like to lose weight but is not a long-term solution, as natural weight loss occurs as you eat mostly alkaline foods. Carrageenan is a major bioactive component in sea moss. It has the ability to gel and is therefore classified as soluble fiber by your body’s inability to digest it. Soluble fiber absorbs water and forms a gel-like substance. This slows digestion by increasing the rate at which food moves through your digestive tract and delaying the rate at which your stomach empties its contents.
It may help you eat less since it fills you up for longer, thus meaning that you will feel fuller for longer. In fact, frequent soluble fiber consumption has been connected to lower body weight.
11. Treating Leukemia – According to those who have been treated with purple sea moss, its ability to remove excess mucus and cleanse the body is what helps treat leukemia. Sea moss is being studied as a potential treatment for cancer. According to experts, this seaweed contains a variety of compounds and chemicals. And scientists anticipate that they will be able to “create” such medicines in the near future that can specifically target cancer cells.
12. Lowering Stress Levels – According to the University Of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC), Purple Sea Moss contains “Minerals such as calcium and magnesium that provide the most benefit when taken together with vitamin C.” Calcium relaxes muscles and blood vessels, magnesium relaxes muscles, and vitamin C helps the body absorb calcium.
13. Lowering Blood Sugar – The UMMC also states that purple sea moss “contain(s) porphyrins that have been shown to help lower blood sugar levels.” This is especially beneficial for those diagnosed with diabetes or those routinely consuming high glycemic foods such as refined carbohydrates and sugars.
14. Preventing Kidney Stones – According to Dr. Sebi, one of the many benefits of purple sea moss is its ability to prevent kidney stones by removing excess uric acid from the body. This makes it an essential ingredient in any natural weight loss program since kidney stones are often caused by elevated levels of uric acid.
15. Anti-Aging Properties – According to the UMMC, “Sea Moss is rich with calcium, iron, and iodine which are key nutrients for generating new skin cells.” Purple sea moss contains an abundance of amino acids, including glutamic acid which works with cysteine (a sulfur-containing amino acid) to help produce glutathione. Glutathione is a powerful antioxidant and anti-aging agent which can protect against sun damage, prevent wrinkles and sagging of the skin.
Where to Buy Purple Sea Moss
When searching for purple sea moss look for products containing red algae, the color of the algae will determine its potency. You can buy purple sea moss (red algae) capsules or powder in health food stores or online. Be sure to follow dosage instructions when adding this ingredient to your diet.
When looking for products containing red algae be sure to choose ones that are organic and sustainably harvested in order to avoid any harmful chemicals like pesticides or preservatives.
Purple sea moss can be purchased at local health food stores and here are some of our favorite vendors on Amazon.