Knowing how to use shower steamers is essential to reap the ultimate benefits. A shower steamer is like a bath bomb for your shower. They are designed to fizz under the running water of your shower, making your shower experience a little more enjoyable. Shower steamers contain essential oils to leave you feeling relaxed and refreshed. As water hits the shower steamer, it fizzles and releases an amazing mix of essential oil scents into the air. The steamer portion of the name comes from the fact that the steam and humidity generated from a hot shower helps to enhance the aroma of the essential oils in the air. This is the same concept that bath bombs use.
A lot of people use baths to reduce stress. But what should you do if you are not a bath person? Using a shower steamer is great because shower time is a good place to slow things down, de-stress and do some of your best thinking. Whether you shower in the morning or at night, taking some extra time to really enjoy your shower is a great way to plan how your day is going to go or reflect on how it went – and a shower steamer can help create an environment that encourages you to relax, de-stress and think more clearly.
How to Use Shower Steamers
- To start the process, set your shower to an extremely hot temperature and let it build up steam.
- Place a shower steamer on the floor of your shower. In order to create steam effect, you need to find a location where the hot water stream cannot directly hit the shower steamer – but is close enough so that splashes from the shower can hit it.
- The water will activate the fizzing reaction and release the fragrant essential oils into the air. This will create an amazing aromatherapy session that you can enjoy in the comfort of your shower.
- An alternate option is to place the shower fizzy in an organza bag and hang it from the wall. To get the full experience of a scent plugged in, simply put it in close proximity to your nose.
Video Tutorial on How to Use Shower Steamers
- You can choose any scent you want for your shower steamers – from lavender to (my personal choice) a sandalwood-scented fizz.
- The design of the product is relatively simplistic, which means it’s very easy to use and doesn’t take up much space in your bathroom.
- The shower steamer lasts approximately 1 month – varying depending on how often you use it. And following this guide will ensure that you can enjoy it for as long as possible
- Shower steamers are relaxing and soothing, perfect for unwinding after a long day.
- Inhaling certain essential oils can help your health and there are a range of health beneits to inhaling the aromatherapy scents. For example, inhaling eucalyptus oil in a shower steamer is beneficial for clearing your nasal passages and decongesting your chest – perfect after a long day at work!
- They are better than perfumed candles or plug-in air fresheners – shower steamers do not drip wax and they don’t make you feel as though your room is filled with an overpowering synthetic scent. The smell that comes from the shower steamer is very subtle.
Shower Steamers vs Bath Bombs
One difference between bath bombs and shower steamers, however, is that these relaxing shower steamers with essential oils aren’t diluted in a carrier oil. They also contain higher concentrations of essential oil than are considered skin safe. Due to this, you should not use these aromatherapy shower tablets as a bath bomb in your tub, even though they are similar recipes.
In the last few years, more and more companies have started making their own version of a shower steamer such as Lush Cosmetics, The Body Shop, Schmidt’s Naturals, and Pacific Shaving Company. Basically, every company has its own version of a shower steamer. A lot of people prefer to make them in bulk for long-term use instead of buying the ones sold in stores because they are often expensive when bought individually from stores.
There are many different brands of shower steamers, with a variety of scents to choose from such as lavender for relaxation, or peppermint for a boost of energy. The shower steamer market has never been more popular among body product lovers. Their popularity is due to the excellent combination of scent and skincare benefits they provide, and their ability to make taking showers both relaxing and something that can be done in just a few minutes.
They usually come in two sizes: small and large. Small ones are great for one or two person showers, while larger ones can be shared within the whole family.
Want to make your own shower steamer? Check out these videos of some of our favorite DIY shower steamer recipes.
What to buy your own?
Here are a few of our favorite shower steamers you can buy on your own.