What is a Yoni Steaming Treatment?
Vaginal steaming has been referred to as bajo, chai-yok, or a yoni steam. Yoni is the Sanskrit word for womb or vagina. It is an ancient practice that has been used for hundreds of years to assist with many symptoms.
Benefits of a Yoni Steam Treatment:
Steaming uses the water element to open and clear the yoni root. Full moons and ovulation are associated with the water element, which makes this a wonderful time to perform this
As not all women are cycled with the New Moon, it is recommended that a yoni steam be performed approximately one week prior to menstruation because the cervix is slightly dilated therefore making the healing properties of steaming more beneficial.
Gently steaming the yoni with healing herbs and oils is an ancient healing priestess tradition to energetically, emotionally, and physically nourish and cleanse the womb and to help awaken the feminine crown sacral chakra.
Historical Use of Yoni Steam:
Many ancient cultures across the globe have known of the powers of the yoni steam. Priestesses of Isis used this healing practice as a part of their body cleansing rituals to prepare initiates before they entered the Temple of Isis.
In old Mayan tradition, a postpartum vaginal steam therapy called pusilton was used, in which women sat atop a bucket of water into which super-heated rocks were thrown and the steam vapors rose into the yoni to heal and soothe.
In San Gervasio, on the island of Cozumel in Mexico, there are ruins of the temple of Ixchel, the Mayan jaguar goddess of midwifery and feminine medicinal arts, where there are pits for vaginal steam baths carved into the stone floor.
Here is a complete listing of the benefits of yoni steaming:
- Significantly reduces pain, bloating, and exhaustion associated with menstruation.
- Decreases menstrual flow as well as reduces dark purple or brown blood at the onset or end of menses.
- Regulates irregular or absent menstrual cycles.
- Increases fertility, especially when combined with Mayan Abdominal Therapy.
- Speeds healing and tones the reproductive system after birth.
- Treats uterine fibroids, ovarian cysts, uterine weakness, uterine prolapse & endometriosis.
- Assists with the repair of a vaginal tear, episiotomy, or C-section scar.
- Assists with the healing of hemorrhoids.
- Treats chronic vaginal/yeast infections, and works to maintain healthy odor.
- Relieves symptoms of menopause including dryness or pain during intercourse.
- Detoxifies the womb and removes toxins from the body.
- Releases stored emotions and taps into the energy that is your creative potential.
- Fox News. (2010). Vaginal steaming: Just a bunch of hot air?
- Lee MS, et al. (2010). Does moxibustion work? An overview of systematic reviews. DOI:
- Vandenburg T, et al. (2017). ‘Basically, it’s sorcery for your vagina’: Unpacking Western representations of vaginal steaming [Abstract]. DOI: