We include products we think are useful. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission.
Bentonite clay body wraps are designed to improve the texture and appearance of the skin by helping to rid the body of excess fluids and toxins. Benefits of bentonite clay body wraps may include detoxification, boosting of the lymphatic system and metabolism, body contouring, weight loss, skin tightening, and skin softening.
Bentonite clay forms from volcanic ash. It gets its name from Fort Benton in Wyoming, where it occurs in large amounts. It is a natural clay with a fine, soft texture. It forms a paste when mixed with water. Some people use this paste for medical or cosmetic benefits, such as treating rashes and acne or as a hair mask.
Scientists believe that bentonite clay works by adsorbing oils and dirt from the skin. The theory is that bentonite clay adsorbs materials by sticking to their molecules or ions. As the clay leaves the body, it takes the toxin or other molecules with it.
How do Bentonite Clay Body Wraps work?
If you detox the epidermal layer of the skin, it can have a significant impact on your health. bentonite clay body wraps are designed to improve the texture and appearance of the skin by helping the body rid itself of excess fluids and toxins.
When you rid yourself of those nasty excess fluids and toxins, the benefits range from increased metabolism, skin tightening and skin softening to improved texture and flushing toxins by way of the lymphatic system—a network of tissues and organs that help the body eliminate waste; body Wraps can boost the lymphatic systems ability to remove toxins for stronger detoxification.
Benefits of Bentonite Clay Body Wraps
- Removing toxins from the body – bentonite clay adsorbs toxins by sticking to their molecules or ions.
- Treating oily skin and acne – Bentonite clay can help remove sebum, or oil, from the skin’s surface, and it may also have a calming effect on inflamed breakouts.
- Detoxifying the skin: Bentonite clay is able to bind to bacteria and toxins that live within your pores and unclog any impurities. Learn more about using bentonite clay in an armpit detox.
- Improves skin’s appearance – In bentonite blay is a mineral called silica. Silica is mostly known for strengthening connective tissues in our bodies and creating soft, glowing skin.
- Tones and firms up the skin – High in silica, magnesium, iron, calcium, potassium, and sodium. This combination of minerals makes bentonite clay potent for firming and tightening the skin.
- Reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles – the tightening benefits of bentonite clay body wraps also help reduce the appearance of aging.
- Reduces cellulite – Cellulite is a fat deposit beneath the skin. The detoxifying and tightening effects of bentonite clay body wraps can help reduce the appearance of cellulite.
Bentonite clay stems far back in history as a traditional healing method for protecting the body from disease. It has been reported that several traditional cultures living in regions of the Andes, Central Africa and Australia have consumed clays in numerous ways for centuries.
Bentonite clay body wraps can bind to bacteria and toxins living on the surface of the skin and within pores to extract impurities from the pores. This helps to reduce the outbreak of blemishes, alleviate redness, and to fight allergic reactions from irritating lotions or face washes.
Bentonite clay essentially “seeks” toxins in the body to bind with because naturally any substance that has a missing ion (which gives it its “charge”) looks for opposing charge types of substances that will make it complete. Upon binding, the clay is then able to help remove toxins & chemicals.
Complements Of Bentonite Clay Body Wraps
- Magnesium – Maintains muscle and nerve function, supports immune system, maintains strong bone and regulates blood sugar.
- Silica – Stabilises the body, keeps skin elasticity and collagen healthy, aids in nail and hair growth. Restores balance between magnesium and calcium
- Calcium – Build and Maintain strong bones, heart and muscles need calcium to function helps skin health.
- Iron – Helps metabolise proteins, aids in haemoglobin production (carry oxygen through the blood) Maintains muscle health and brain function, promotes general good health.
- Sodium – Maintain fluid balance, helps muscles relax and nerves to transmit signals. Controls normal blood pressure.
- Potassium – Regulates fluid balance, controls electrical activity of the heart and other muscles. Counteracts the effect of excessive sodium, mad maintains acid-base balance.
Professional bentonite clay body wraps typically cost between $100 and $300, depending on your location. Body wraps are often performed as part of a larger body treatment that may include aromatherapy, mud baths, hot tubs, and saunas. Day spa bentonite clay body wraps can be less expensive when performed in conjunction with other body treatments or day spa therapies that may include facials, massages, or waxing.
But if you don’t have the money to get a bentonite clay body wrap professionally here is a guide on DIY bentonite clay body wraps.
DIY Bentonite Clay Body Wraps
- 1/2 cup bentonite clay
- 2 tablespoons Himalayan sea salt
- 1/4 cup aloe vera gel
- 1/4 cup castor oil
- Wooden or glass bowl and spoon (Do not use metal, as it can deactivate the clay.)
- Cotton cloths
- Cling wrap
- Large sheet or towel
- Wool blanket
- Combine 1/2 cup of clay with 2 tablespoons of sea salt in a wooden or glass bowl.
- Add 1/4 cup of castor oil, a widely used oil for detoxing with castor oil packs. You can heat the oil slightly to increase its effectiveness as castor oil detoxes the liver and helps smooth the skin when applied to stretch mark-prone areas like the thighs and abdomen.
- Add 1/4 cup of aloe vera gel. A powerful skin healer, aloe vera reduces inflammation and swelling, not to mention helps keep skin hydrated and healthy.
- Mix the ingredients with a wooden spoon. If the mixture is too thick, add water until the body wrap gel is smooth and easily spreadable.
- Standing on a large sheet or towel apply the mixture on your legs then wrap the cotton cloth strips reasonably tightly on top of the mixture.
- Repeat this with your thighs, stomach and arms.
- Then wrap the cling wrap on top of the cotton cloths.
- Lie flat on the floor and place the wool blanket over your body to trap heat.
- Stay in this position for 60 minutes.
- When the time is up, remove the cling film cotton cloths and take an alternate hot and cold shower.
Tips for DIY Bentonite Clay Body Wraps
- If your bathroom is large enough for you to lie down with the towel over you, you can apply the messy body wrap mixture in there. If not, find a private area in your home which can easily be cleaned up.
- When you’re under the blanket with the body wrap around you, you’re going to sweat profusely. This is natural.
- You might be bored while lying under the woolen blanket but you can use this time to close your eyes and relax or do affirmations.
- Do not wrap your chest. Wear undergarments or a bikini when doing the wrap. When wrapping your butt, wrap the cotton cloth firmly upwards.
- After the wrap, have an alternate hot and cold shower to stimulate flow of toxins and wastes in your body.
Use bentonite clay body wraps once a week for six weeks then once a month after that for maintenance. You might need to use more of the ingredients depending on your body size and height. So feel free to adjust the ingredients to be able to make enough to spread all over your body. Be sure to drink water after the wrap to help you eliminate the toxins.