We include products we think are useful. If you buy through links on this page, we earn a small commission
Essential oil diffusers are a great addition to your home. They are more than just pretty decorations, though—they can help reduce stress, increase energy, and improve the overall quality of your life. If you’re considering buying one or already own one but don’t know how to use it properly, this article will provide all the information you need.
Benefits of Diffusing Essential Oils
There are many benefits to diffusing essential oils. Some of these benefits include:
- Reducing stress and anxiety
- Enhancing focus and concentration
- Promoting better sleep
- Purifying the air
- Fighting sickness and infection
- Improving moods
How to Use a Diffuser Properly
Now that you understand the benefits, it’s time to learn how to use a diffuser properly. There are two types of essential oil diffusers: ultrasonic and nebulizing/atomizing. If you choose an ultrasonic diffuser, there aren’t too many steps involved in using it correctly. All you have to do is add water and a few drops of oil to the diffuser, turn it on, and enjoy the benefits.
If you choose a nebulizing/atomizing diffuser, there are a few more steps involved. You first need to add water and essential oils to the diffuser. Then you need to attach the diffuser to an air compressor. Once the diffuser is attached, turn on the compressor and enjoy the benefits.
No matter which type of diffuser you choose, there are a few general tips to follow for getting the most out of your device:
- Don’t add too many drops of oil to the diffuser. A little goes a long way.
- Don’t use an oil that has a strong scent. A high concentration of essential oils can irritate the user’s nose and throat.
- Don’t put too much water in the diffuser. You should have enough water to cover the bottom of the diffuser, but there shouldn’t be so much that it starts spilling out because of gravity alone.
Now that you know how to use a diffuser, it’s time to start enjoying the benefits!
What Do I Need?
An essential oil diffuser is a device that disperses essential oils into the air. This can be done in several ways, but the most common is through ultrasonic vibrations.
Not all diffusers are created equal, so you’ll need to choose one that’s best suited for your needs. If you’re looking for something small and portable, go with a personal diffuser. If you’d like to cover a large area, try an ultrasonic diffuser.
Once you have your diffuser, you’ll need essential oils—specifically, either 100% pure therapeutic grade or diluted with a carrier oil. You’ll also need distilled water and the proper amount of drops for use in your diffusers’ reservoir.
Our Favorite Diffusers
How to Use a Diffuser
When you’re ready to use your diffuser, start by selecting the right essential oils for your needs. Then, measure the correct number of drops and add them into the reservoir along with distilled water. Be sure to never exceed the recommended amount of oil or you could damage your diffuser!
Next, turn on your diffuser and enjoy the benefits of aromatherapy. Most diffusers have a variety of settings, so you can customize the experience to your liking. Some even have built-in timers, so you can set it and forget it.
Here are a few final tips to keep in mind when using your diffuser:
- Make sure to use pure, therapeutic-grade essential oils. Cheap oils may not be safe or effective.
- Don’t diffuse oils near children or pets. Some oils are toxic if ingested.
- Be sure to keep the diffuser clean so it works properly and doesn’t produce harmful toxins.
- Diffuse oils in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhalation hazards.
That’s all there is to it! With these simple tips, you can start enjoying the many benefits of essential oil diffusers today.