Have you been thinking about switching to more natural products? Conventional deodorants and antiperspirants contain a variety of chemicals and additives. It would take something un-natural to block the body’s natural ability to sweat, and the chemical list in some deodorants is pretty bad:
- Aluminum– linked to cancer and Alzheimer’s Disease
- Phthalates– that can cause hormone imbalance
- Propylene glycol– better known as antifreeze.
- Formaldehyde- linked to cancer… guess it kills the germs though.
- Parabens- another hormone disruptor
- Antibacterial Substances- endocrine disruptors and can negatively affect the immune system
Now we must admit it can be really hard to switch to a natural deodorant and see positive results because our bodies have become accustomed to the effects of the chemicals. Luckily here is a DIY detox to prepare your pits for the transition
- 1 tablespoon bentonite clay
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoons of water (to get the right consistency)
- Mix all of the ingredients in a glass bowl (do not use metal!) with a wooden or non-metal spoon until about the consistency of sour cream.
- Spread in an even layer over the armpits and allow to sit for 5-20 minutes. Start slowly and work your way up to a longer period of time once you see how your body adjust. If it hurts at all, remove immediately.
- This may cause some redness as it will increase blood flow to the area, but it will go away quickly.
- Wash off in the shower or with a warm, wet washcloth.
- Repeat daily or as needed until under-arm odor goes away and natural deodorant is non-irritating.
Switching to natural deodorant is not as simple, unfortunately, as finding a clean, aluminum-free deodorant. It is a process and there will be sweat. Just as you will sweat more after making the switch, you’ll also likely smell more than usual. Again, this is because your body is detoxing and getting rid of all of the harmful chemicals in your body. But ditching aluminium and making the switch to natural deodorant is definitely worth it.