Learn how to make konnyaku soap. Konnyaku soap is made from Konjac potato.¹ It is formulated only plant-derived ingredients. Natural soaps have high-quality plants, and this makes them naturally hydrating and good for the skin. Konnyaku soap contains plenty of ceramides which is essential to make your skin look young and fresh. The cleansing properties are amazing, as it is clean yet gentle.
We all use soap on a daily basis, but have you ever thought about what’s in your soap? There are two types of soaps, commercial and natural. Commercial soap has loads of chemicals and detergents that can irritate and disrupt the skin’s natural balance.² Natural soaps Handmade soaps are made of plant-derived ingredients that won’t dry your skin and are nurturing. The very best reason to learn how to make konnyaku soap is the ingredients. Typically, konnyaku soap is made of natural oils that are rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and nutrients that are essential to healthy skin.
Konnyaku soap is similar to a shower jelly. Lush has a line of shower jellies and even Bath and Body Works have started carrying their own line. It cleanses just like regular soap, except it’s jiggly and guaranteed to entertain. The texture is perfect for kids or for an adult seeking a little fun and skin nourishment. Konnyaku soap can either be used for hand soap or body wash. It works quite well in the shower because you can put smaller pieces of the Konnyaku soap in loofahs and sponges, and it really helps create more suds and bubbles.
Kids tend to love jelly soap, but please use with caution around younger children. Making konnyaku soap is very similar to jello and it looks a lot like JELL-O (but it’s not to be eaten). Through trial and error, a lot of time spent scouring the internet and books, and quite a few unsuccessful batches, we now have a guide on how to make konnyaku soap.
How to Make Konnyaku Soap
- Konnyaku jelly powder
- 16oz of 100% plant-based body wash, color or scented. (If you use a colored scented body wash you will not need to add extra fragrance or color)
- Natural oils (like coconut, jojoba, or almond)
- Food coloring, optional
- Silicone mold for jelly soaps
- Essential oils (if using unscented soap)
- 32oz of water
- In a large pot bring the water to boil and add in 2 to 3 drops of your natural oil of choice. (The more oil you add the less amount of suds and bubble but will make it more moisturizing)
- Pour in soap next and bring to a boil
- Once boiling remove from heat and gradually pour in Konnyaku jelly powder.
- Stir in a few drops of your essential oil now
- Stir well until mixture is dissolved (about 8 minutes)
- Pour mixture into silicone molds and let sit for an hour.
- Once the mixes are cool you can enjoy.
Konnyaku Soap Benefits
A large majority of people have never used konnyaku soap. Konnyaku is adored in Asia and has been used for more than 1500 years for medicinal and other purposes. It is rich in the polysaccharide glucomannan and contains valuable proteins, lipids, vitamins, numerous minerals and trace elements (e.g. magnesium, iron, phosphorus, zinc and copper).³ Konnyaku can help to make skin smooth and may improve skin elasticity. It can aid in keeping skin moisturized to help rejuvenate, nourish and re-hydrate dry skin. The result after your bath is skin that is soft, supple and revitalized.
Customizing Your Konnyaku Soap with Essential Oils
Making your own konnyaku soap is also a great way to reap the benefits essential oils derived from plants and natural colorants like clays. They’re made from parts of certain plants like leaves, herbs, barks, and rinds.⁴ Makers use different methods to concentrate them into oils. Essential oils are often used in aromatherapy, a form of alternative medicine that employs plant extracts to support health and well-being. You can also tailor the scent to fit your mood or health concern. For example:
- Sandalwood: calm nerves and improve focus
- Tea Tree: fight infections and boost immunity
- Peppermint: boost energy
- Lavender: relieve stress
- Chamomile: improve mood and relaxation
- Lemon: improve mood
- Bergamot: reduce stress and improve skin conditions like eczema
- Ylang-Ylang: treat skin conditions
- Jasmine: help with depression and libido
- Rose: improve mood and reduce anxiety
Customizing Your Konnyaku Soap with Natural Oils
Another benefit is the oils you decide to use within your konnyaku soap. Oils lock in moisture and help protect the skin against environmental effects. Oils are easily absorbed into the skin. They deeply penetrate to soothe and soften while providing an excellent moisturizing effect and adding a healthy glow.⁵ Different oils can provide different benefits for your skin. You can also tailor your soap to fit your skincare needs. For example:
- EV Coconut oil – antibacterial properties to control bacteria on the skin
- EV Olive oil – high vitamin content and nourishing to dry skin
- Jojoba oil – anti-inflammatory to keep skin calm and comfortable
- Almond oil – improves complexion and skin tone.
- Grapeseed oil: doesn’t clog pores, it is ideal for all skin types, including oily skin that needs moisturizing.
This kind of customization is why you should DIY many of your cosmetics. You choose the oil, scent, and everything else. You can make your own makeup remover, face masks, stress relief spray, or hydrating hydrosols. So, roll up your sleeves and get to work.